Monday, September 15, 2008

3 weeks!!!!

I've been bad about updating this lately! Sorry about that!

We had another Ireland team meeting on Sunday. It is quickly approaching! I can't believe we leave in 18 days!!

We talked some about struggles and challenges we may experience while in Ireland. Mostly things within the team. I honestly don't think we're going to have any major problems with each other. I'm sure there will be small things that one person does that will drive another nuts, but nothing mission-threatening.

We had some time to share things that might "set us off" so that the other team members might be aware. For example: Josh might get annoyed if we're running late or behind. Barry said gets irritable when he's hungry. Dude, I can so relate. We will be the fussy ones if tea time is delayed! That may seem silly, but these things are things that might be helpful for our teammates to know so that we can do what we can to avoid them. (Like, being on time to dinner so Josh doesn't get frustrated because we're late and so we can eat on time so Barry and I don't go bananas on everyone!) All in all, I dont' think we'll have too many major issues. Now that I've said that, God will probably allow something major to happen ;) That's ok though! We can handle it!

I went on several mission trips while in college (NYC and Mexico) and so I do understand some of the troubles that can happen amongst team members. But there are some vast differences in those trips and the one we're about to embark on. Some of the differences in this trip and the ones I've been on in the past are:

1) We are all adults! Ok, so technically you're an adult at 18, and everyone on the college mission trips were over 18, but there is a difference in being 18, young, wild, and fancy free and being a mature, married self-reliant adult. By now, we can (hopefully!) all deal with the petty differences with each other and not throw a hissy fit.

2) There are no cliques. Most of us had never met prior to signing up for this trip so it's given us a great opportunity to get to know each other on an equal field. Sure, we may bond with one person more than another, but it's not like in college where I was with my best friends and so-and-so was with their best friends and we totally didn't talk or hang out. I love that we have no cliques!

3) This may seem like a silly one, but most, if not all, of our team members are married. Some are going as couples (us!) and some are not, but it is refreshing that we won't have to worry about "Johnny" having a crush on "Lucy", but "Lucy" likes "Billy". I hated that on the college trips. It was more like a dating trip than a mission trip.

This is just a short run down on a few of the things we talked about!

Some prayer requests:
1) For our team and that we will continue to grow closer together and bond as a team
2) For our host families that we will be staying with. That they will be prepared for us crazy Americans!
3) For all of the team members and that we will remain healthy now and through the trip.
4) For the project and the folks that are working there now
5. For the people and parolees that we will be working with and that God will begin to soften their hearts to hear the Word
4) That our plane doesn't encounter any problems that would cause us to crash over the dark, deep, Atlantic ocean in a huge fiery inferno...at night...with no where to land (can you tell the one thing I am nervous about??? :) )

That's it for this week!

PS - Did you know that finding a place in the metromess that has or can order Euros is might near impossible? Ugh!

No comments: